Kiwis saw superpowered teenager over creepy cat this week
FlicksNews | 11 April 19
DC’s Shazam! earned a sweet million at the New Zealand box office in its first week while Pet Sematary earned a fifth of that in its opening seven days (despite doing pretty well in the states). While us still proves to be the horror flavour of the month, will competing comic book film Hellboy win superhero audiences over this weekend? If they feel the same way as us, then it’s un-bloody-likely.
1. Shazam! $1,034,017 (Warner Bros.)
2. Dumbo $345,269 (Walt Disney)
3. Captain Marvel $288,939 (Walt Disney)
4. Us $247,527 (Universal)
5. Five Feet Apart $223,861 (Roadshow)
6. Pet Sematary $198,342 (Paramount)
7. Daffodils $195,951 (Transmission)
8. Fighting with My Family $63,634 (Universal)
9. Woman at War $60,773 (Limelight Distribution)
10. Green Book $55,300 (eOne)
Source: Numero. Estimated figures as at 2:46pm, 11/04/19
A sign of things to come.
Spidey-sequel is smashing it in cinemas.
Clearly, Kiwis aren’t tired of the MCU.
Toys, nostalgia, dolls rule – for now.
And Yesterday did respectable business in NZ.
Child’s Play wasn’t even the biggest flop this weekend…